is for Preacher.
Rev. LeeRoy Whitson Harris is my 2nd great-grandfather via
- his daughter, Alice Virgillia Harris
- her daughter, Racie Elmira Harris
- her son
- Born: 20 March 1853 to William Alexander & Ruth Holland Harris
- Married: Sarah Russell before 1874
- Married: Nancy Russell 6 Jan 1885
- Died: 2 Jan 1840 of Mitral Insufficiency with contributing causes of hypertension and influenza
He was a shoemaker according to the 1880, 1900, and 1920 census. In 1910, he was listed as a farmer. Was this just the recorder listing everyone as a farmer, or did he actually give up shoe-making for a while? By 1930, he was a clergyman of Baptist faith.
Here’s LeeRoy, second wife Nancy, and family.
Front: William, Travis, Oscar, Sylvia
Middle: Nancy Russell & LeeRoy Whitson Harris
Back: Georgia, Alice, Jessie
A memorial sketch given at the Harris Reunion after his death said this of his time as a Baptist preacher (transcribed verbatim):
By profession: Lee was a local Baptist preacher, serving as such in the churches of this and adjoining counties, until ill health compelled him to superanuate, but his superanuation did not prevent him from preaching occasionally, when circumstances were favorable, and his outstanding usefulness in this community was to conduct burial services for the dead, in which his remarks and admonition to the living were most impressive and effective. He was usually the leader in singing, and was generally known as the leader not only in the Baptist churches, but in Methodist as well.
- Harris, LeeRoy Whitson US Federal Census Records 1860, 1870, 1880, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930.
- Rev. Lee W. Harris tribute
- Harris, Lee W death certificate